If you participate in a University of Richmond semester abroad program or if you have successfully submitted a petition to the International Education Subcommittee and have been approved for a non-Richmond semester abroad program, you will automatically receive elective transfer credit for courses taken abroad, provided:
- Courses are taken for a grade, not "pass/fail"
- You earn the equivalent of C or better
- Courses are not a repeat of, or very similar to, ones you have already taken
- Subject areas of courses are offered at Richmond
Students seeking to fulfill degree or general education requirements must seek course approval from the appropriate faculty member. Note that students will not earn transfer credit if the student has not been approved for study abroad by the Office of International Education.
- No credit transfer will be awarded for a course or internship which is a repeat of or similar in content to one already completed at UR.
- Students studying in non-Anglophone countries are required to take a course in the local language (if available), even if this course is not for credit. Extra tuition fees for a language course on UR semester abroad program are covered by the Office of International Education. Please contact your study abroad advisor with any questions about this.
- FOR ROBINS SCHOOL STUDENTS ONLY:
Be sure to read the web page robins.richmond.edu/international/study-abroad/index.html carefully regarding credit transfer and policies specific to business school students.
Although courses must be taken for a grade in order to receive transfer credit, grades earned abroad will not appear on your UR transcript. Your UR transcript will show the host institution's name, course titles, and number of units transferred from abroad.
- Courses taken as general elective credit (i.e. not fulfilling any major or minor requirement) toward graduation will receive a TRNS 999 course designation on the transcript. If there is more than one general elective course receiving credit, subsequent courses will appear as TRNS 998, 997, etc.
- Elective credit counting toward a major/minor requirement must have an approval form completed and will receive the department prefix (HIST, SOC, etc.) followed by 901 (100 level course), 902 (200 level course), 903 (300 level course), or 904 (400 level course) on the transcript.