Pronoun Selection

Students are able to indicate their personal pronouns in BannerWeb from a drop-down menu. Beginning in August 2021, the personal pronouns will be displayed in the following locations:

  • Advisor student profile
  • BannerWeb class roster
  • GradTracker audit

Additional forms will be added and the list above will be updated.

To indicate your personal pronouns, log into BannerWeb and choose the Student Services menu, then Student Profile. On the left side of the page, click My Personal Information. At the top right of the page, in the Personal Details block, click Edit. Use the drop-down menu to select your personal pronoun.

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand All
  • What is a personal pronoun?

    Personal pronouns are used in place of people’s names. A personal pronoun is the pronoun that an individual would like others to use when talking to or about that individual. Some people prefer others to use a gender-neutral or gender-inclusive pronoun when talking to or about them. Below is a list of pronouns a student can select as their personal:

    • he, him, his
    • she, her, hers
    • they, them, their
    • ze, hir, hirs
  • Why is the University making it possible for students to officially designate a first name in use and pronoun?

    The University wants to ensure that all students are addressed respectfully and appropriately. Students may want to designate a first name in use, also referred to as "lived names" or "preferred names," for a variety of reasons: they are nicknames; the names reflect a cultural, personal, religious or familial preference/practice; because people mispronounce their given/birth names; or the name accurately reflect a person’s gender identity. For more information on using personal pronouns and first name in use, view our Inclusive Language Guide.

  • Why would an individual report a preferred pronoun?

    Personal pronouns are used in order to respect the way people identify and to avoid making assumptions about people’s identities. A person’s personal pronoun can change over time. However, there are students who do not have a preference - a student does not have to report a personal pronoun. If a student does not want a pronoun to be used at all the student should simply enter their name as the personal pronoun.

  • How can I change my name and personal pronouns on campus records?

    You are able to provide the University with first name in use, as well as personal pronouns, in BannerWeb. The name option is available through the Personal link in BannerWeb under the Student Profile. The University will use your first name in use, except in limited circumstances where a legal name is required. If you would prefer to have no pronouns used, you may enter your name as the personal pronoun.

  • Where is a personal pronoun used?

    The personal pronoun will be made available on class rosters in BannerWeb; on the advisee profile in BannerWeb; on GradTracker; and to others who have a need to know.

  • Do I have to provide a personal pronoun?

    No. First name in use and personal pronoun are available so that others do not have to make assumptions about your identity, but there is no requirements to submit this information. If you do not submit a first name in use, your legal name will be used, and if you do not submit a personal pronoun, no information about pronouns will be provided.

  • Where can I learn more about personal pronouns and first name in use?