Study Abroad

Credit Transfer

Making sure that you receive credit for your semester abroad is one of the most important steps you will take. Visit International Education for more information regarding Study Abroad Programs.

Refer to Petitions for General Education Requirements for more information on petitioning for general education credit for courses that do not match Richmond’s curriculum.

If you participate in a University of Richmond semester abroad program or if you have successfully submitted a petition and have been approved for a non-Richmond semester abroad program, you will automatically receive elective transfer credit for courses taken abroad, provided:

  • Courses are taken for a grade, not "pass/fail"
  • You earn the equivalent of C or better
  • Courses and internships are not a repeat of, or very similar to, ones you have already taken
  • Subject areas of courses are offered at Richmond

Students seeking to fulfill degree or general education requirements may use the Study Abroad Database or must seek course approval from the appropriate faculty member or department chair. Note that students will not earn transfer credit if the student has not been approved for study abroad by International Education.

Also, please note:

  • No credit transfer will be awarded for a course or internship which is a repeat of or similar in content to one already completed at UR.
  • Students studying in non-Anglophone countries are required to take a course in the local language (if available), even if this course is not for credit. Extra tuition fees for a language course on UR semester abroad program are considered part of your tuition and you will not pay separately for these. Please contact your study abroad advisor if you have any questions.
  • FOR ROBINS SCHOOL STUDENTS: Please read the important information regarding credit transfer and policies specific to business school students.
  • FOR LAW STUDENTS: Please contact your study abroad advisor or the Registrar’s office for information on credit conversion.


Although courses must be taken for a grade in order to receive transfer credit, grades earned abroad will not appear on your UR transcript. Your UR transcript will show the host institution's name, course titles, and number of units transferred from abroad.

  • Courses taken as general elective credit (i.e. not fulfilling any major or minor requirement) toward graduation will receive a TRNS 999 course designation on the transcript. If there is more than one general elective course receiving credit, subsequent courses will appear as TRNS 998, 997, etc.
  • Elective credit counting toward a major/minor requirement must have an approval form completed and will receive the department prefix (HIST, SOC, etc.) followed by 901 (100 level course), 902 (200 level course), 903 (300 level course), or 904 (400 level course) on the transcript.

To receive credit, an official hard copy or electronic (password-protected) transcript must be sent directly from your program abroad to the University of Richmond. 

Please ask the staff of your program abroad to address it as follows.

  • Semester/Year UR study abroad programs:

Printed: International Education Ste 103, Attn: Study Abroad, 211 Richmond Way, University of Richmond, VA 23173 USA

Electronic: Your Richmond study abroad advisor or

  • Non-UR summer/winter break study abroad programs:

Printed: Registrar's Office, Attn: Study Abroad transfer credit, 142 UR Drive, University of Richmond, VA 23173 USA

Electronic: Ms. Kim Duren at