VA Benefit Policies

Expand All
  • Academic Credit for Prior Learning Experiences
  • Active Duty Withdrawal Policy

    If a registered student is called to active duty during the course of a semester (defined as the first day of classes through the last day of semester exams), the student has the following options:

    Weeks 1-7: Add/Drop period. The student can drop the course and receive a 100% tuitions refund (less any financial aid which the student may have received from the University).

    Weeks 8-15: After the eighth week of classes, the student has a choice of withdrawing without penalty from the University and receiving 100% tuition refund (less any financial aid, which the student may have received for the semester), or taking a non-punitive incomplete (Y) in all registered courses. If the students chooses 100% tuition refund, they will be dropped from all registered course. Y grades must be agreed to by the instructor(s) and student.

    Last semester before graduation: If a student is called to active duty in his or her last semester before graduation, the student should contact the dean of his/her school to determine if graduation requirements can be completed.

    A prorated refund for residence hall and meal plan fees will be issued to students, based on the date of their last day on campus. If a student leaves on active duty without giving notice, the school will determine the last date of occupancy or meal usage.

  • Audited Courses

    Audited courses are not eligible for VA payment.

  • Changes in Schedule

    All changes in schedule, whether it be an add, drop, or withdrawal, must be immediately reported to the School Certifying Official.

    It is a student’s responsibility to notify the School Certifying Official as soon as possible if he or she adds, drops, or withdraws from a class or makes changes to a semester’s schedule after the first day of classes.

  • Enrollment Certification

    Enrollment certification for VA education benefits is not automatic. In order to initiate educational benefits, all students must submit a Veteran’s Educational Benefit Agreement Form for each upcoming semester (including the summer). Additionally, the School Certifying Official will need each student’s most recent Certificate of Eligibility (COE).

  • Grievances and Complaints
    The Virginia State Approving Agency (SAA), is the approving authority of education and training programs for Virginia. The SAA investigates complaints of GI Bill beneficiaries. While most complaints should initially follow the school grievance policy, if the situation cannot be resolved at the school, the beneficiary should contact our office via email
  • Incompletes

    Incomplete grades must be completed by the University of Richmond deadline. After one year, if the incomplete grade is not completed, it will be reported to VA and the student will be required to repay the VA for this course. If the course is completed after the one year period, please notify the School Certifying Official so VA can restore payment for the completed course.

  • Independent Study

    Independent study courses are considered distance learning. These classes do not meet the VA’s requirements for in-residence training.

  • Readmission Policy

    Students who have withdrawn from the University for whatever reason, other than participating in an approved study abroad, exchange, or visiting away program, and wish to return must make their request for readmission in writing to the dean of the appropriate academic school. Students seeking readmission to the School of Arts and Sciences should contact the dean of Richmond College (men) or dean of Westhampton College (women). Students seeking readmission to the Robins School of Business, the Jepson School of Leadership Studies, the School of Law, or the School of Professional and Continuing Studies should contact the Dean’s Office of the appropriate school.

  • Required Coursework

    Only required coursework for graduation may be certified to VA. This includes courses for general education, degree, major, and declared minors. Electives may be certified if they are needed to reach the number of credits or units required for graduation.

  • Repeated Coursework

    A course that was successfully completed on the first attempt will not be certified. The VA will only pay for the repetition of a course when a student either received an "F" in the first attempt or did not meet the minimum grade requirement in the course for the student’s declared program. Repeating a course to raise the GPA is not covered by VA. It is the student’s responsibility to know if the repeat is required and provide documentation for proof.

  • Residency Requirements
  • Scholarships

    All students that receiving Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) benefits and intending to use scholarships to pay part of their semester bill must notify the Financial Aid liaison as soon as possible. There are specific laws that impact Post 9/11 recipients receiving scholarships.

  • Semester Bill

    It is the student’s responsibility to ensure his/her account is paid accordingly, based on his/her benefit chapter, to avoid a hold or late fee.

    A veteran or eligible person who is entitled to use Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Services (Chapter 31) benefits will not be subject to any penalty, assessment of late fees, denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, nor will they be required to borrow additional funds to satisfy their financial obligations in the event of a delayed payment from the Veteran’s Administration.

  • Standards of Progress

    Students using veterans’ benefits are required to uphold the same standards of progress as all other students enrolled at the University of Richmond. For details regarding academic procedures, graduation, academic standing, and other important policies, please refer to the appropriate school catalog:

  • Study Abroad

    Students must contact the School Certifying Official the semester prior to the semester they intend to study abroad. Not all study abroad programs are covered by the GI Bill.

  • Transfer Credit