Richmond Home

Home School Declaration of Major/Minor Process

Students who have completed their first year are eligible to declare, including transfer students who have completed their first year of college. To declare a major, minor, or concentration, please complete the online form at anytime up through the end of the two-week add/drop period for declaration to be effective for the current term.  Detailed instructions on how to complete the online form are available here. Declarations completed after the end of the add/drop period will not go into effect until after the term ends.  Department chairs will assign advisors when approving the major/minor declaration forms.  


Business Students

Students choosing to declare a major in Accounting, Business Administration, or Economics-Business or choosing to declare a minor in Business must meet the declaration requirements no later than the start of their junior year.  The requirements are completion of at least 12 units with a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.7.  Additionally, all student must have passed ACCT 201, ECON 101 and Calculus  as well as an Excel Competency Exam before declaring.  The majority of students complete these declaration requirements before the start of the Spring semester of their sophomore year and are eligible to declare and complete the form at


Leadership Studies Students

Students wishing to major in Leadership Studies must apply and be selected by the Jepson School of Leadership Studies during the sophomore year. When students complete their “acceptance of admission” form with the Jepson School, their information will be shared with the Registrar’s Office and at that time, they can declare leadership studies as a major and/or minor. 


When should I declare my first major of my primary curriculum?

Students have the option to declare at the end of the first year. Such declarations will be effective as of June 1. Students are encouraged to declare during their sophomore year, and expected to have declared by the end of the sophomore year.